Package Pouches - The Future of Packaging
18 November 2020
Whether you're looking for a stand-up or lay-flat pouch, flexible packaging is slowly becoming the primary product packaging method for manufacturers worldwide. Many industries can benefit from flexible packaging for various reasons, from minimizing production costs and increasing consumer convenience to supporting our environment and lowering shipping costs. Transitioning to flexible packaging will benefit your company's success and cater to today's consumer market's unique needs.
How Does Flexible Packaging Make a Difference?
Manufacturers worldwide are continuing to turn to flexible packaging as many have found it to offer numerous benefits. When selling a product, you are not only invested in the product's presentation and reliability for the consumer, but product packaging is just as important. The average consumer is drawn to product packaging that caters to their unique needs and desires – flexible packaging can do just that and more.
- Production Costs: Making the transition to flexible packaging reduces production costs by a substantial amount as fewer materials and energy are needed. Flexible packaging is also a cost-effective packaging option for manufacturers as materials tend to cost less as the film is tailored to fit your product's size. Product information and marketing are usually incorporated into the flexible packaging design, eliminating the extra cost of labeling or capping.
- Customization: Many manufacturers find benefit in flexible packaging because of the material's endless customization options, from shape and size to function and visual properties. Flexible packaging can easily be designed to stand, lay flat, or hang, which is convenient for retail locations. There is a range of film materials, meaning manufacturers can find the most suitable solution for their product.
- Eco-Friendly: Flexible packaging already requires fewer materials and energy during production, but these materials can also help businesses reduce their carbon footprint. Many features are incorporated into flexible packaging designs that encourage customers to reuse the packaging before throwing away. A lot of materials utilized in flexible packaging are also recyclable, which reduces landfill waste.
- Convenience: Reusable features incorporated into flexible packaging designs are not only good for the environment, but they also provide the consumer with heightened convenience. Whether it's a zipper, spout, or seal, adding a reusable feature to your flexible packaging design will help consumers access your product on the go and not feel pressure to use or consume it before it's necessary.
- Shipment Costs: Manufacturers who transition to flexible packaging have also noticed a substantial difference in shipment costs. These materials tend to be lightweight and compactable, meaning more of your product can be shipped at one time. Additionally, this also allows for a higher product-to-package ratio, meaning more products are delivered to consumers using fewer materials.
- Long-Lasting: Flexible packaging materials are designed to protect your product from unnecessary moisture, vapors, and dust. This remarkable feature allows your products to remain fresh for a more extended time for both retail locations and consumers.
- Eye-Catching: Because of the design versatility and customization opportunities that come with flexible packaging, your product will likely be more appealing to the consumer. Many different brands offer the same product on the market today, meaning it's vital to find a way to stand out from the competition. Flexible packaging gives manufacturers a lot more custom elements to choose from compared to traditional packaging types.
Flexible Packaging and the Environment
Developments continue to be made to support our environment better, both in packaging materials and other industries. Awareness has continued to rise in sustainability and carbon footprint reduction, but how does flexible packaging save our environment?
Flexible packaging benefits the environment in numerous ways, from utilizing less energy and natural resources to lowering CO₂ emissions and landfill waste. Today's consumer market is drawn to companies and products that communicate environmental friendliness as healthy living and eco-friendly lifestyles are rising. Suppose you're looking for a way to lower your carbon footprint. In that case, flexible packaging is the perfect solution as greenhouse gases are produced in various scenarios, from manufacturing and transportation to storage, use and reuse phases, and end-of-life disposal. Since flexible packaging design encourages reusability, the amount of materials going to landfills is drastically reduced in food waste and packaging materials.
Inventory Costs Impacted By Flexible Packaging
Owning a business comes with a lot of costs, and inventory is one of them. Production and shipment can be costly, especially if manufacturers are unaware of where cuts or changes can be made. Flexible packaging is not only a cost-effective transition, but it can help manufacturers save on inventory costs for a variety of reasons.
Packaging You Can Rely On
Manufacturers across every industry have found flexible packaging to be extremely reliable, both in shipping and once their product(s) reach retail locations. Flexible packaging has been designed to be durable and able to withstand harmful conditions. This alone results in lower inventory expenses as products are less likely to be damaged, and consumers are more likely to receive fresh products. Due to flexible packaging's sustainable properties, manufacturers will spend less on overall inventory production as packaging materials require a lower investment. Manufacturers can also ship more of their product at one time due to the space-saving design of flexible packaging, which is beneficial for consumers, retailers, and manufacturers themselves.
Why You Should Choose Flexible Packaging
Selecting the right packaging for your product can be challenging, especially when attempting to stay ahead of the competition. Manufacturers worldwide have been asking why flexible packaging is a practical choice. While it may seem surprising to some, flexible packaging offers various benefits, from customization and reusability to high-quality materials and minimizing overall costs regardless of the industry focus.
Is Your Industry a Good Fit?
Many industries can benefit from transitioning to flexible packaging. These materials work for various products, from spices, ingredients, and pet foods to beverages, pet foods, and sports supplements. Even if your product doesn't fall into one of these categories, you can likely find a flexible packaging solution that works wonders for your product. There are many different types of flexible packaging films, each offering its own benefits to individual products. Packaging films have varying thicknesses, transparencies, and durability, so you can be sure your products stay safe and fresh for consumers. Here at The Packaging Lab, we offer manufacturers a variety of flexible packaging films that will cater to the individual needs of your product:
- Thick Gauge Clear and White
- Medium Gauge Clear, White, and Metalized
- Thin Gauge Clear
Popular Products That Utilize Package Pouches
Flexible packaging is continuing to grow in popularity for manufacturers across the world, meaning it's likely you've seen various products in these packaging designs. Flexible packaging is hugely beneficial for numerous industries, and many of these products even end up being more appealing and eye-catching for the consumer market.
- Coffee Grounds and Beans: Popular coffee brands such as Starbucks, Caribou, and Dunkin' Donuts all use flexible packaging for their products. It not only allows them to fit more of their product into one package but keeps the coffee beans and grounds fresh for longer to encourage customer satisfaction.
- Granola: Many consumers are drawn to transparency because they want to know everything about the product they're consuming. Not only does flexible packaging allow granola and cereal manufacturers to incorporate transparent areas into their packaging design, but many also have resealable and waterproof capabilities so consumers can quickly grab a bite on the go.
- Candy and Sweets: Whether you've recently been to a gas station, grocery, or candy store, you've likely seen candy and sweet treats in flexible packaging. Many manufacturers love the design capabilities, so bright and fun graphics can be incorporated.
- Beauty Products: Like how consumers want to know what they're eating or drinking, they also like to know what's being incorporated into their daily regimens. Beauty products benefit from flexible packaging for convenience and reusability while encouraging transparency with the consumer.
- Supplement Powder: Manufacturers of sports and nutrition supplements have benefitted from flexible packaging as it can easily be stored and transported, unlike bulky plastic containers. Athletes are continually on the go, meaning flexible packaging caters to their busy lifestyles.
- Healthy and Organic Foods: With new diets and lifestyles continuing to gain popularity, health foods and organic products are the craze. Many consumers interested in these products are also giving special attention to packaging and are more drawn to those that promote reusability, minimalism, and care for the environment.
- Jerky: Fishermen, hikers, campers, and more enjoy jerky as a quick, healthy treat. Flexible packaging has resealable features and is FDA approved to keep these dried meats fresh for more time.
- Pet Food: Pets want fresh food just like you and me, meaning keeping their food fresh and free from contaminants is a priority. Your pets need their daily dose of nutrients, so unwanted illnesses are avoided – flexible packaging allows for exactly this.
- Tea: Coffee and tea are the same, both need reliable packaging for proper preservation and minimized exposure to unwanted moisture and light. Tea has become more and more popular, especially when it comes to health and wellness. Whether you're a new tea drinker or have been one for a while, you've likely purchased tea brands in flexible packaging.
Sports Nutrition and Package Pouches
Active lifestyles have always been a priority for many throughout the world, whether for leisure or extracurricular involvement. Many individuals invested in physical fitness also incorporate sports nutrition products into their daily regimen to maximize results, but why do so many sports nutrition companies choose flexible packaging? Aside from customer convenience, there are many more reasons these manufacturers are drawn to this effective packaging design.
Sports nutrition manufacturers are drawn to flexible packaging for various reasons, from increasing shelf life and taking up less retail space to protection from moisture, light, and air. Many enjoy the functional design capabilities such as a stand-up or lay-flat pouch design along with these benefits. These design features allow for easy consumer transportation and use and are much more convenient for retail spaces as the products can be standing, lying, or hanging on shelves.
The consumer market also expects sports nutrition products to be fresh and stay fresh for quite some time – especially with the investment that usually comes with these items. Flexible packaging allows manufacturers to incorporate sealing technology, anti-tampering, and childproof features, which helps establish brand loyalty and keeps customers returning to your product. There are many different resealable features manufacturers can incorporate, from easy-tear and push-to-close to slider and audible.
It's All About Convenience
Athletes and customers that live a busy lifestyle usually invest in sports nutrition products for one reason or another. An active lifestyle comes hand in hand with the desired convenience, and flexible packaging caters to precisely that. Aside from the resealable, anti-tampering, and childproof features for added security, flexible packaging is also lightweight, which allows for easy transportation. Many consumers are drawn to sports nutrition products in flexible packaging because manufacturers can create single-serve and multiple-serving products for on-the-go and at-home use.
Gone are the days of only purchasing products from brick-and-mortar locations. Many sports nutrition manufacturers are allowing consumers to buy products online as well. Just like how the packaging needs to catch their eye on shelves, the same goes for when they're surfing the web. Flexible packaging allows manufacturers to create appealing graphics that will help your product stand out from the competition.
Advancements in Product Packaging Will Continue
While flexible packaging materials are easily the future of product packaging, advancements will continue to be made for years to come. Manufacturers are encouraged to transition to flexible packaging as it provides them with a variety of benefits and meets the needs of potential and existing buyers. Regardless of your industry focus, there's likely a flexible packaging material that will work for your product to keep it safe and protected for consumers.